Black History Month
Challenges, opportunity and progress
People across Canada celebrate and recognize the month of February as Black History Month. The month of February of 2023 is an opportunity to celebrate Black history. For 2023, we will awaken our consciousness of who we are as we celebrate the legacy, history, and achievements that Canadians of African descent continue to make. We recognized our commitment to equal rights, opportunity, and freedom from discrimination in the GTA and across Canada. This year’s Black History Month theme is Awakening our consciousness of who we are.
As Black people we do more than exist. We understand that our health, our well-being, and our souls are well.
“Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well.”3 John 1:2
Black History Month means time to address under-representation, injustice and systemic barriers. During Black History Month, we learn this vital narrative, share it with our friends and neighbours, and better understand the struggles Black people in Canada faced then and face now.
As a church community we stand with Canada, and celebrate the legacy of our Black brothers and sisters who have stood robust, elevated and left us strong and influential shoulders to pivot on. As acknowledged by Paul, in 1 Tim. 6:12, he encouraged Timothy to “Fight the good fight of the faith…”
We will fight the good fight by:
- Maintaining a Godly character;
- Rejecting false doctrines;
- Seeking Godliness with contentment.
Weekend of February 25 and 26
As we celebrate Black History Month, let us do so understanding that God is the ultimate reason for our prosperity as a people.
- Saturday February 25: You missed an amazing dinner! Food and Entertainment at Praise Cathedral. Adults $50 per person; children 12 and under $20 each. For more info, please contact (437) 999-4363 or (647) 534-8719;
- Sunday February 26: Our Praise Sunday worship service will celebrated our Black heritage, and Awaken our Consciousness of Who We Are. Special guest is Linda V. Carter, actress, media personality and producer.